The most crucial ingredient to building a sense of belonging is effort. You cannot belong if you are not willing to make the effort to engage with others. Seeking activities and groups of people with whom you share common interests .
It is important to reach out – which can be challenging if you are shy, feeing overwhelmed or feeling depressed. Even if it is with just one other person to start – it is a beginning.
Ways to find connection:
- Cook for your family or teach someone else in your home how to prepare a favorite meal.
- Exercise or walk with a friend or neighbor or family member.
- Teach each other your hobbies, such as crocheting, drawing, video games – an interest is worth sharing.
- Learn some phrases in a new language and practice together
- Create art and share it with others online or via text message.
- Share humorous adventures of pets
- Begin planning projects or create a vision board, connect to others through sharing favorite music play lists or movies.
- Write letters or draw pictures for others who cannot receive visitors because of the crises, such as nursing home residents or individuals in the hospital
- Create funny videos to share with others.
- If you are interested in make up, drawing or creating – make tutorial or “how to” videos for fun and share;)
Virtual Connections to others – in small groups.
- Search for free online concerts, book clubs and virtual nature walks of parks, mountains or BMX racing, skiing adrenaline racing. Whatever your interest there is an online forum available to bring people together, perhaps more now than ever.
- Share meals or play games with a friend or extended family member using video chat apps.
You have a lot to offer and you are a valuable person. Reaching out to others and creating relationship/friendship helps to build resiliency and will help you to feel more connection.
Create an action plan for you – pick a few ideas from above and make plan for your first steps to connect what will they be?
I know we are in challenging times – but we can create connection. Reach out today:)
We are in this together:) If you would like to connect – please email me at:
Ellen Iverso, PsyD Beck Institute